This time of year, many people have lilies in their homes as they celebrate the Easter season. It’s not well-known that lilies are toxic to cats. As little as two leaves from a single flower have resulted in death. If your cat does eat or chew any part of a lily, don’t wait to see if symptoms develop. The only way to help cats who have ingested the toxins in the plant is early medical attention, so see your vet immediately.
To be safe, avoid having lilies anywhere a cat can access… and don’t forget that cats are great athletes and can jump as much as five times their height. A high shelf may not be as safe as you think! It’s safer not to allow lilies in your home with cats.